Salkantay trek short 4d/3n
The Tour 4 Day Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is one of the less frequented routes compared to the nearby famous Inka Trail, the second option for most travelers seeking to arrive to Machu Picchu by foot. It has without a doubt the best scenery that the Andes has to offer – everything from the native forest of the high Andes to snow-capped peaks, glacial lakes, and cloud forest. This is a journey that will show you Mother Nature at its best with all its wonders and sights. The area is not especially inhabited, but we will pass one local community to learn about the lifestyle.
This is the express version of the Classic 5 day, 4 night Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu. With this itinerary, you will complete the trek in 3 days and spend the 4th day at Machu Picchu.
The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu runs beneath the magnificent Salkantay mountain (6,271 m/ 20,569 ft), one of the highest and most stunning in the Andes. The Salkantay Trek was recently named on the National Geographic Ultimate Adventure bucket list – defined as “The 20 most extreme, hair-raising, legendary adventures on the planet.” It is a trek open to everybody, and the most popular alternative to the Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu.
You will have 3 days of trekking through various landscapes including highlands, cloud forest, rain forest and dry mountain. Throughout the trek you have amazing views of Apu Salkantay, Pumasillo Mountain and Humantay Mountain, three of the most stunning peaks of the Cordillera Vilcabamba Mountain range.
Our standard package includes the premium services of lodging in a very nice hotel on the third night of the trek and dinner at the best restaurant in Aguas Calientes. Your ticket to climb Huayna Picchu Mountain after your Machu Picchu tour is also included.
If you are a strong, outdoors experienced person the Salkantay Express version of the trek might be perfect for you!
- Day 1: Cusco – Soraypampa – Huayracmachay
- Day 2: Huayracmachay – Arrayanniyoc – Challhuay- La Playa – Lucmabamba
- Day 3: Lucmabamba – Llactapata Inca Ruins – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
- Day 4: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA (L) (D).
We will pick you up from your hotel (Cusco) early in our mobility towards the town of Mollepata, during the journey will pass through some villages like Izcuchaca and Limatambo.
Once we reach Mollepata we will have a light breakfast it could be like 40 minutes, and then we will continue driving for 30 minutes aprox. till sillacancha from there we are going to start to hike toward soraypampa aprox 3 hours, we will see beautiful valleys and mountains watching snowy as the Humantay (5217 m) and Salkantay ( 6264 m), followed arrive at our first camp known as Soraypampa (3700 meters), to dinner and rest.
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – CHALLWAY (B) (L) (D).
After breakfast start walking, this second day is the hardest but full of adventures that will cross the highest point is the passage of the Salkantay (4600 m) means: the wild mountain, the imposing snowy where we can appreciate the majesty of the area and take some pictures. During the journey we will find several piles of stones called Apachetas.
Followed descend about 1 hour to where lunch and then continue walking for about 3 hours. up to Chaullay where is our second camp. Dinner and overnight.
DAY 3: CHAULLAY – AGUAS CALIENTES (B) (L) (D).
This day after breakfast 6:30 am, we will continue our trek will be slight, interesting and unforgettable because this one day descend from the Andes to the jungle on the route taking climate change, we can also observe in a tour variety of orchids, birds, flowers, tropical fruits and banana plantations, coca and coffee descent is five hours to Sahuallacu the beach for lunch and then continue in transport for an hour and a half to Hidroelectrica where we will board the train that we bring to the town of Aguas Calientes where where we stay in a hotel.
DAY 4: MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO (B).
By the following morning breakfast we went walking to the most important archaeological site Machu Picchu, once inside we will go to the top of the citadel to begin our guided 2 hours approximately, where he will visit around the Inca citadel, visiting the sites main as enclosures, squares, sacred fountains, temples agricultural and urban areas, so that you then have and enjoy their free time, like taking photos, etc.
Finally in the afternoon return by bus to the town of Aguas Calientes and to address the train to Ollantaytambo, where he is expected to return to the city of Cusco tourist bus. End of services.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Pick up at your hotel in the morning of the trek departure
- Private transport from Cusco to Soraypampa (starting point of the trek)
- Entry fee to Machu Picchu
- English speaking, experienced professional guide
- Private guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Comfortable tents (sleeping 2 people in a 4 person tent)
- All camping equipment such as: dining tent, table, chairs, kitchen tent
- Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and return to Aguas Calientes.
- First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Private transport from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco
- Accommodation in Aguas Calientes with private room and bathroom
- Mules and horses (for equipment and personal items) including
- 7 kgs of your personal items such as extra clothes, sleeping bag etc
- Comfortable & thick foam mattress
- Boiled water for drinking and washing purposes
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Sleeping Bag: $20 USD per person per trek (It will be clean and warm)
- Air Mattress: $20 USD per person per trek (Therm-a-rest mattresses)
- Walking Poles: $15 USD per pair per trek (Professional Poles that can be extended)
- Personal tent: $30 USD – (Tent for single travelers only)
- Vistadome Train Upgrade: $67 USD per person (Return Only)
- Huayna Picchu Mountain: $75 USD per person (Please request when you book your Trek)
- Machu Picchu Mountain: $75 USD per person (Please request when you book your Trek)
- Lunch on the last day in Aguas Calientes
- Tips for the crew, guide, cook and porters from PERU WILD TREKS
We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of the 50% of the payment and you are ready to go.
Please, Prices are Based On Group size you want us to place you./Please, note: We will Never pass you onto another operator or share service with other companies as most agencies do here.
PRIVATE SERVICE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU, Prices are based on Number of people departing that date/ We will leave with minimum of 02 PPL.
- Una Persona: USD 1 050.00
- 2-3 Personas: USD 580.00 por persona.
- 4-6 Personas: USD 520.00 por persona
- 7-+ Personas: USD 480.00 por persona
“Please read carefully the following information; it will help you answer all of your questions about our services and the Salkantay treks”
It will take place the night before the trekking departure at 6pm in your hotel
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE:
Of course! During the salkantay treks your main luggage can be store at our office or at your hotel, both are for free. Please don´t pack anything you will need for your hike.
HOW TO BOOK THE SALKANTAY TREKS?
FIRST, to book your Salkantay Treks, we need you to fill out our booking form by clicking on BOOK NOW on our homepage or click here the link BOOK NOW.
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group). We cannot purchase an Short Inca Trail Machu Picchu permit without the following information:
Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
D.OB. (dd / mm / yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of the 50% of the payment per person in order to purchase a permit for your hike.
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
Fortunately the answer is “Yes”. If you want to change your departure date please let us know 2 months in advance ,once the tickets have been bought the government does not allow any changes, so we can’t change any departure date after the ticket has been bought. The Machu Picchu tickets are also not transferable nor refundable.
WHAT ABOUT ALTITUDE SICKNESS?
In general if you have regular exercise and spend a couple of days in Cusco, or in the Sacred Valley for acclimatisation to the altitude, you may be fine.
The recommended medicine for altitude sickness is WATER, COCA TEA and OXYGEN IF NEEDED; our guides are trained to treat you for Altitude Sickness.
We offer the Cusco City Tour or Sacred Valley Tour that you can book while you are acclimatizing. Check out our Day Tours
ARE WE DROPPED AT OUR HOTEL AFTER THE SHORT INCA TRAIL MACHU PICCHU?
Absolutely! Included in our packages is dropping you off at your hotel on the return from your trek or tour. If you have booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley like Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, we will drop you there too!
If you spend the night at Ollantaytambo before the trek, we wil pick you up there.
- Original Passport (it has to be the same you have used for booking your trek)
- Valid University card (if you booked as a student)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: 2-3L (Camelbaks are encouraged).
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Sleeping bag (can be rented from Peruwildtreks)
- Headlamp: essential
- Toilet paper
WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR BACKPACK FOR SALKANTAY TREK 4 DAYS
As a Direct Local Tour operator, we provide you with a duffel bag at your briefing and INCLUDE a extra weight for the horse to 7 kgs or 14lbs including your 2.5kg sleeping bag, mattress and extra clothing. By Peruvian law, a duffel bag must not weigh more than 7 kilograms (15lbs). This limit is set to protect the health of the horses. All bags will be weighed before being accepted. If you require more than 7 kilograms, it will then be your responsibility to carry the extra weight with your day pack. In this 7 kilos, please count 2 kilos for your sleeping bag and 1 kilo for your sleeping pad. This leaves you about 4 kilos for your personal gear.
- 2 t-shirts
- 2 hiking pants at least
- 4 sets of undergarments
- 3 sets of hiking socks
- Bathing Suit for the thermal waters
- Couple Fleece/ Thermals
- Warm clothes, down jacket — 2nd campsite temp around 3º C
- Waterproof gloves (even if they are ski gloves, take them)
- Comfortable shoes for camp
- Quickdry towel. We provide small ones, you might prefer something larger
- Small bottle of soap: we provide warm water each day to wash
- Battery Charger: No electricity along the trek
- Large plastic bags will be provided at the office — Please ask for them
- Sleeping bag: It has to be at least -15ºC – This can be rented from us
- Swimming Suit
- Face moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Personal medications
- First aid kit: band aids, moleskin, etc
MORE SIMILAR TOURS: SALKANTAY